Sunday, March 28, 2010

something only a few understand.



I really feel like I'm getting into this 'student nurse' role.

I get the jokes they make about "you might be a nursing student if.." and I've actually done a few of those things.


just last week, while preparing for my foley catheter and wound care check offs, the dinner conversation between my parents and I include wound descriptions, catheters.. and bowel movements. totally normal.


This week in clinical while doing an assessment on my patient.. one of the nurses came up to me and said a patient needed an enema, would i like to administer it. my eyes must have lit up, and i ran to find my clinical instructor.

"lina, i have an opprotunity to do an enema.. am i able to do that?"

"yes, just explain what it is and side effects blah blah blah"


so I go to do my first enema. i felt like a sort-of-for-real nurse.

but then my enema got overshadowed by jeremy and his straight catheter.


I don't think anyone else would have understood why we were all jealous that his patient had an order for a catheter. we piled into the room to observe, and told him he was lucky.

oh gosh. the things i thought i'd never say!


well i have to fnish this IA, then do a quick journal and maybe get started on my NIA.

only 4ish weeks left until SUMMER.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment